Zermatt Day Trip
Breath Taking Views of Matterhorn
Guided Day Hiking Tour
- experience amazing views of the Matterhorn and the Alps in a combination of cogwheel train ride and easy to moderate day hike
- Ride Europe’s second highest railway and the highest open-air railway of the continent – the Gornergrat cog wheel train – up to the 10,134 ft / 3089 meter Gornergrat with incredible views of the Matterhorn accompanying you most of the way.
- Walk up to the 360 degree platform area where you see over 29 of the 79 alpine peaks higher than 4000 meters/13,123 ft, including the massive Matterhorn.
- Enjoy a 1-2 hour guided hike along signposted trails through an alpine nature reserve with stunning Matterhorn views mirrored in pristine alpine lakes.
- Learn about the origins of Zermatt and the people of the canton of Valais (French name) or Wallis (German name)
- Local English speaking Guide throughout
Actual walking & hiking time and distance:1 to 2 hours, 2 to 4 miles
Hiking elevation change: 670 ft / 223 m down
Hiking terrain: moderately descending, natural dirt & stone path, public sign posted trails
June 15, 2018 to Sept. 30, 2018
Meet: 08:00 am – outside the Gornergrat Railway station in Zermatt
Depart: 08:24 am
Adult Standard: CHF 472.00 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: CHF 672.00 for one person
Adult with Half-Tax Card Swiss: Standard Rate less CHF 85.00 per person
5 or more contact ECHO Trails
All transportation mentioned in the itinerary.
English speaking hiking guide
- Items of personal nature.
What to wear and bring
- Plenty of water as the altitude can make you thirsty
- Sunscreen and sunhat
- Warm layered windproof clothing – it can get chilly up top
- Footwear with sturdy soles that grip the ground; ankle-high boots are recommended (but not essential)
- Hiking poles are recommended (but not essential)
- Headache medication, candy/sweets and a bottle of Coke are recommended in case of problems with altitude.
The tour departs rain or shine.
Full refund up to 24 hours prior to the tour departure.
50% refund if cancelled by 6.00 p.m. the day before departure.
No refund on the day of departure.
When in Switzerland, just dial 079-813-36-10 to reach our office
Booking within 5 days of your tour date?
Please contact us directly in Lucerne.
Calling outside of Switzerland: 41-79-813-36-10.
Calling within Switzerland: 079-813-36-10
or e-mail: email@example.com
Your english speaking guide lives in the Zermatt area and knows all the trails very well.
Your guide will share information about the “Valais” unique culture and can answer all your questions about the Matterhorn.
Hiking Map for Zermatt
This encompasses the day’s travel, including buses and trains – we won’t be hiking all this in one day