Grand Train Tour of Switzerland
Spectacular Swiss Alps via great train journeys, cable car ascents and walks on Alpine trails
An active Guided Tour with 2-night stays at beautiful hotels/lodges with 3-course dinners and Swiss breakfasts.
Our Rails & Trails tours are all inclusive – no additional expenses.
This tour is designed for active people who want to experience Switzerland’s culture and cuisine while viewing its spectacular scenery from the panoramic windows of its amazing long-distance trains.
- See and experience the most scenic Alps – explore 10 great Swiss rail lines
- Guided Walking Tours in each city/village
- Travel in a small group – 14 to 16 people max
- Enjoy Switzerland’s majestic scenery in the First Class sections on the most famous trains
- The Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Voralpen Express, GoldenPass Line, Furka Steam Train, and many more
- Luggage transferred daily for you – no baggage-carrying hassles
- 2 night stay in each location
- Two English speaking guides, one Swiss and one American
- Learn about Swiss cheese, chocolate, wines, and Swiss life
- Includes Heidi Village, St. Gallen Abbey Library, Swiss Military fortress, and Lake Como
- Lifetime of great memories and moments
We offer three tour options. Click on one of the following for more information:
A guided Swiss tour featuring magnificent train rides, walks, views, foods, and lodging, focusing on Switzerland’s legendary railways combined with walks/hikes and wonderful hospitality.
The full 13 day tour travels includes all the following:
- Furka Steam Train – restored 1920s steam train over the 7,270 ft Furka pass ride – one of the great Swiss Alps steam journeys
- Glacier Express – Classic narrow gauge railway with panoramic windows
- Bernina Express – journey up to the 7,391 ft Ospizio summit – one of Europe’s highest rail stations
- Centovalli Railway – an Italian-Swiss railway and hidden gem of the railway world
- Golden Pass Line – travel in Belle Epoque style
- Voralpen Express – gateway to scenic Eastern Switzerland
- Zermatt Matterhorn Gornergrat – a mountain rack-rail launched in 1898
- Jungfraujoch mountain rack-rail – 1912 incredible tunnel engineering through the Eiger
- Mr. Rigi – narrow gauge from 1871; first cogwheel train in Europe
- Mt. Pilatus – narrow gauge; first started running in 1889; steepest cogwheel train in the world at 48% gradient
Ascend up mountain peaks on these cable cars:
- St. Moritz-Corvatsch to 10,826 ft.
- St. Moritz-Diavolezza to 9,770 ft.
- Lucerne-Mt. Pilatus to 6,561 ft.
‘Off the Rails’ Experiences with optional walks/hikes and excursions:
Enjoy exploring the beautiful Alpine countryside surrounding each town with non-strenuous walks and modest hikes and scenic excursions
- Lucerne – walk through the historic old town
- St. Gallen – Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 8th century manuscripts
- Andermatt – Former top secret World War II military bunker deep in the Gotthard mountains
- St. Moritz – Panorama trail with scenic views of the surrounding Bernina Mts and Engadine Valley
- Lugano – lakeside Olive Trail walk & outdoor grotto risotto dinner
- Como (Italy) – historic old town and winding shoreline to the exquisite villas of Bellagio (full day excursion)
- Montreux – Chillon Castle, Lake Geneva and landscaped lakeside walk
- Lauterbrunnen Valley – walk beneath 600 ft cliffs and 71 waterfalls
- Trümmelbach Falls – spectacular glacier-fed waterfall inside the mountain
- Lake Thun – steamer ride with views of Jungfrau and surrounding mountains