Grand Train Tour of Switzerland
Spectacular Swiss Alps via great train journeys, cable car ascents and walks on Alpine trails
An active Guided Tour with 2-night stays at beautiful hotels/lodges with 3-course dinners and Swiss breakfasts.
This tour is designed for active people who want to experience Switzerland’s culture and cuisine while viewing its spectacular scenery from the panoramic windows of its amazing long-distance trains.
- See and experience the most scenic Alps in rail comfort
- Guided Walking Tours in each location
- Travel in a small group – 14 to 16 people max
- Enjoy Switzerland’s majestic scenery in the First Class sections on the most famous trains
- Luggage transferred daily for you – no baggage-carrying hassles
- Two English speaking guides, one is Swiss-born but California-raised.
- Learn about Swiss cheese, chocolate, wines, and Swiss life
- Lifetime of great memories and moments
We offer three tour options. Click on one of the following for more information:
A guided Swiss tour featuring magnificent train rides, walks, views, foods, and lodging, focusing on Switzerland’s legendary railways combined with walks/hikes and wonderful hospitality.
The full 13 day tour travels includes all the following:
- Furka Steam Train – restored 1920s steam train over the 7,270 ft Furka pass ride – one of the great Swiss Alps steam journeys
- Glacier Express – Classic narrow gauge railway with panoramic windows
- Bernina Express – journey up to the 7,391 ft Ospizio summit – one of Europe’s highest rail stations
- Centovalli Railway – an Italian-Swiss railway and hidden gem of the railway world
- Golden Pass Line – travel in Belle Epoque style
- Voralpen Express – gateway to scenic Eastern Switzerland
- Zermatt Matterhorn Gornergrat – a mountain rack-rail launched in 1898
- Jungfraujoch mountain rack-rail – 1912 incredible tunnel engineering through the Eiger
- Mr. Rigi – narrow gauge from 1871; first cogwheel train in Europe
- Mt. Pilatus – narrow gauge; first started running in 1889; steepest cogwheel train in the world at 48% gradient
Ascend up mountain peaks on these cable cars:
- St. Moritz-Corvatsch to 10,826 ft.
- St. Moritz-Diavolezza to 9,770 ft.
- Lucerne-Mt. Pilatus to 6,561 ft.
‘Off the Rails’ Experiences with optional walks/hikes and excursions:
Enjoy exploring the beautiful Alpine countryside surrounding each town with non-strenuous walks and modest hikes and scenic excursions
- Lucerne – walk through the historic old town
- St. Gallen – Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 8th century manuscripts
- Andermatt – Former top secret World War II military bunker deep in the Gotthard mountains
- St. Moritz – Panorama trail with scenic views of the surrounding Bernina Mts and Engadine Valley
- Lugano – lakeside Olive Trail walk & outdoor grotto risotto dinner
- Como (Italy) – historic old town and winding shoreline to the exquisite villas of Bellagio (full day excursion)
- Montreux – Chillon Castle, Lake Geneva and landscaped lakeside walk
- Lauterbrunnen Valley – walk beneath 600 ft cliffs and 71 waterfalls
- Trümmelbach Falls – spectacular glacier-fed waterfall inside the mountain
- Lake Thun – steamer ride with views of Jungfrau and surrounding mountains