ECHO Rails & Trails 7 Day Tour: Lucerne-Lugano
An active 7-day guided tour on great Swiss train journeys combined with walks on spectacular Alpine Trails
2-night stays at beautiful hotels/lodges with 3-course dinners and full Swiss breakfasts
This tour is designed for people who want to experience Switzerland’s culture and cuisine while viewing its spectacular scenery through panoramic train windows.
In order to accommodate people who may not be available for a 13-day tour, we offer a 7-day version – join us from on the journey from Lucerne to Lugano via St Gallen, St Moritz and Andermatt
- See and experience the most scenic Alps – great rail rides
- Guided Walking Tours in each city/village
- Travel in a small group – 14 to 16 people max
- Enjoy Switzerland’s majestic scenery in First Class on some of the most famous trains
- Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Voralpen Express, Furka Steam Train
- Luggage transferred daily for you – no baggage-carrying hassle
- Two English-speaking guides, one is Swiss-born and California-raised.
- Learn about Swiss cheese, chocolate, wines, and Swiss life
- Lifetime of great memories and moments
A guided Swiss tour featuring magnificent train and cable car rides, walks, views, foods and lodging – focusing on Switzerland’s legendary railways combined with walks/hikes and wonderful hospiitality
English-speaking guides accompany you on walks through each city and non-strenuous hikes to explore the beautiful Alpine countryside.
7-Day Tour # 1 – Lucerne to Lugano
Travel on these trains:
- Voralpen Express – scenic gateway to Eastern Switzerland railway through the rolling landscape of “Toggenburg” & Appenzell regions
- Mt Rigi – narrow gauge cogwheel train from 1871, the first mountain cogwheel train in Europe
- Mt Pilatus – inaugurated in 1889, the steepest cogwheel train the world with a gradient of 48%
- Glacier Express – narrow gauge railway over the UNESCO World Heritage Albulla railway line and iconic Landwasser Viaduct
- Bernina Express – ride up to the 7,391 ft Ospizio summit; one of the highest railway stations in Europe
- Furka Steam Train – one of the great Swiss Alps historic journeys in a restored 1920s steam train over the 7,270 ft Furka Pass
Ascend mountain peaks on these cable cars:
- Lucerne – Mt. Pilatus cable car to 6,561 ft summit with stunning view of the Swiss Central Alps
- St. Moritz – Corvatsch cable car to 10, 826 ft with views to 13,000 ft surrounding Swiss Alp peaks
- St. Moritz – Diavolezza cable car to 9,770 ft base of the 13,400 ft. Bernina Mountain range; one of the highest in the Alps
‘Off the Rails’ Experiences on optional walks/hikes and scenic excursions:
- Lucerne – walk through the historic old town
- St. Gallen – Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 8th century manuscripts
- Andermatt – former top secret World War II military bunker deep in the Gotthard mountains
- St. Moritz – Panorama trail with scenic views of the surrounding Bernina Mts and Engadine Valley
- Lugano – lakeside Olive Trail walk & outdoor grotto risotto dinner
2019 Schedule – 7 Day Swiss Alps Rails & Trails Tour – Lucerne to Lugano
August 5 – 11, 2019
August 26 – Sept 1, 2019
2020 Schedule – 7 Day Swiss Alps Rails & Trails Tour – Lucerne to Lugano
August 3 – 9, 2020
August 24 – 30, 2020
Rates – 7 Day Tour #1
Adult Standard: CHF 5,499 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: CHF 350 single supplement
Reserve your place on this tour with a 10% per person deposit Click here to Book the 7 day tour #1
- Services of 2 expert English-speaking guides
- 8-Day 1st Class Rail Pass
- 2 nights Lucerne
- 2 nights St. Moritz
- 2 nights Andermatt
- 1 night Lugano
- 3-course dinners each evening and full Swiss breakfasts each morning
- All ground transportation including mountain railways and cable cars, and admission costs
- Daily transfer of your luggage directly from hotel to hotel – carry only your day-pack
Items of personal nature.
Booking a Tour
Click on the red “Book Now” button
1. On the right hand side, select the Date you wish to take the tour in the Date Box
2. Input the number of participants
3. Go To the Tour Box and click on BOOK button – the payment form will open
4. Review the final price – make sure it is correct
5. Read our Cancellation Policy – check the Terms & Conditions Box
6. Pay with either a PayPal account or debit/credit card
Once the payment has been processed, a written confirmation will be sent to your email address
- Cancellations made more than 60 days prior to departure are refundable less a $100 per person service fee.
- Cancellations made between 60 and 15 days prior to departure are subject to a $500 per person cancellation penalty.
- Cancellations made less than 15 days before departure are subject to a $1000 cancellation penalty.
- Cancellation of individual room nights or non-use of prepaid meals are not refundable.
Transportation vouchers and railpasses are bearer documents and cannot be refunded if lost or stolen.
When in Switzerland, contact our Lucerne office tel. +41 (0)79 813 36 10
Booking within 30 days of your tour date?
Please contact us directly in Lucerne.
Calling from outside of Switzerland: +41-79-813-36-10.
Calling from within Switzerland using a local telephone: 079-813-36-10
or e-mail: email@example.com