ECHO Rails & Trails 13 Day Tour
Spectacular Swiss Alps via 10 great train journeys, 3 cable car ascents and walks on Alpine trails
An active Guided Tour with 2-night stays at beautiful hotels/lodges with 3-course dinners and Swiss breakfasts.
This tour is designed for active people who want to experience Switzerland’s culture and cuisine while viewing its spectacular scenery from the panoramic windows of its amazing long-distance trains.
- See and experience the most scenic Alps – great rail rides
- Guided Walking Tours in each city/village
- Travel in a small group – 14 to 16 people max
- Enjoy Switzerland’s majestic scenery in the First Class sections on the most famous trains
- The Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Voralpen Express, GoldenPass Line, Furka Steam Train, and many more
- Luggage transferred daily for you – no baggage-carrying hassles
- Two English speaking guides, one is Swiss-born but California-raised.
- Learn about Swiss cheese, chocolate, wines, and Swiss life
- Lifetime of great memories and moments
If a 13 day tour is too much, see our shorter 7-Day alternatives:
A guided Swiss tour featuring magnificent train rides, walks, views, foods, and lodging, focusing on Switzerland’s legendary railways combined with walks/hikes and wonderful hospitality.
Travel on these trains:
- Furka Steam Train – restored 1920s steam train over the 7,270 ft Furka pass ride – one of the great Swiss Alps steam journeys
- Glacier Express – Classic narrow gauge railway with panoramic windows
- Bernina Express – journey up to the 7,391 ft Ospizio summit – one of Europe’s highest rail stations
- Centovalli Railway – an Italian-Swiss railway and hidden gem of the railway world
- Golden Pass Line – travel in Belle Epoque style
- Voralpen Express – gateway to scenic Eastern Switzerland
- Zermatt Matterhorn Gornergrat – a mountain rack-rail launched in 1898
- Jungfraujoch mountain rack-rail – 1912 incredible tunnel engineering through the Eiger
- Mr. Rigi – narrow gauge from 1871; first cogwheel train in Europe
- Mt. Pilatus – narrow gauge; first started running in 1889; steepest cogwheel train in the world at 48% gradient
Ascend up mountain peaks on these cable cars:
- St. Moritz-Corvatsch to 10,826 ft.
- St. Moritz-Diavolezza to 9,770 ft.
- Lucerne-Mt. Pilatus to 6,561 ft.
‘Off the Rails’ Experiences with optional walks/hikes and excursions:
Enjoy exploring the beautiful Alpine countryside surrounding each town with non-strenuous walks and modest hikes and scenic excursions
- Lucerne – walk through the historic old town
- St. Gallen – Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with 8th century manuscripts
- Andermatt – Former top secret World War II military bunker deep in the Gotthard mountains
- St. Moritz – Panorama trail with scenic views of the surrounding Bernina Mts and Engadine Valley
- Lugano – lakeside Olive Trail walk & outdoor grotto risotto dinner
- Como (Italy) – historic old town and winding shoreline to the exquisite villas of Bellagio (full day excursion)
- Montreux – Chillon Castle, Lake Geneva and landscaped lakeside walk
- Lauterbrunnen Valley – walk beneath 600 ft cliffs and 71 waterfalls
- Trümmelbach Falls – spectacular glacier-fed waterfall inside the mountain
- Lake Thun – steamer ride with views of Jungfrau and surrounding mountains
2019 Schedule – Grand 13 Day Swiss Alps Rails & Trails Tour
August 5 – 17, 2019
August 26 – Sept 7, 2019
2020 Schedule – Grand 13 Day Swiss Alps Rails & Trails Tour
August 3 – 12, 2020
August 24 – Sept 5, 2020
Rates – 13 Day Tour
Adult Standard: CHF 8,840 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: CHF 650 single supplement
Reserve your place on this tour with a 10% per person deposit – Click here to Book the 13 day tour
- Services of 2 expert English-speaking guides
- 15 days 1st Class Rail Pass
- 2 nights Lucerne
- 2 nights St. Moritz
- 2 nights Andermatt
- 2 nights Lugano
- 2 nights Zermatt
- 2 nights Grindelwald
- 1 night airport hotel
- 3-course dinners each evening and full Swiss breakfasts each morning
- All ground transportation including mountain railways and cable cars, and admission costs
- Daily transfer of your luggage directly from hotel to hotel – carry only your day-pack
Items of personal nature.
Booking a Tour
Click on the red “Book Now” button
1. On the right hand side, select the Date you wish to take the tour in the Date Box
2. Input the number of participants
3. Go To the Tour Box and click on BOOK button – the payment form will open
4. Review the final price – make sure it is correct
5. Read our Cancellation Policy – check the Terms & Conditions Box
6. Pay with either a PayPal account or debit/credit card
Once the payment has been processed, a written confirmation will be sent to your email address
- Cancellations made more than 60 days prior to departure are refundable less a $100 per person service fee.
- Cancellations made between 60 and 15 days prior to departure are subject to a $500 per person cancellation penalty.
- Cancellations made less than 15 days before departure are subject to a $1000 cancellation penalty.
- Cancellation of individual room nights or non-use of prepaid meals are not refundable.
Transportation vouchers and railpasses are bearer documents and cannot be refunded if lost or stolen.
When in Switzerland, call our Lucerne office +41 (0)79-813-36-10
Booking within 30 days of your tour date?
Please contact us directly in Lucerne.
Calling from outside of Switzerland: +41-79-813-36-10.
Calling from within Switzerland on a local telephone: 079-813-36-10
or e-mail: email@example.com